Thursday, February 5, 2009

Going through the Fire

I heard the verse referenced a few weeks ago, and the Lord brought it to my attention again this morning during my bible reading in the minor prophets.

Zechariah 13:9 - I will bring the one third through the fire, will refine them as silver is refined, and test them as gold is tested. They will call on my name, and I will answer them. I will say, This is my people; and each one will say, The Lord is my God.

The grand promise is that God will test us and refine us to burn off the dross and the impurities in our faith. The one who is doing the refining is the one who is control of the process and the temperature of the heat. Therefore, God promises to bring us through the fire--"I will bring the one third through the fire".

Malachi reinforces this truth-3:3-He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; he will purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold or silver, that they may offer to the Lord an offering of righteousness.

In the fire you are going through, what is God seeking to "burn out" of your life and mine? In what ways is God "rounding off the edges" that we may be more like Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment