Monday, March 16, 2009

The Shack - part 2

As I am getting into the "theologically sticky" points of the book, I have drawn a few conclusions:

1) The "theology proper" of the book is heresy. God, as a trinity of a black woman, Jewish man, and Asian woman is difficult to swallow--really impossible--theologically.

2) I am also realizing that the reviews that I have read--extremely positive and extremely negative--both seem to be too extreme for me personally. There has yet appeared, in my opinion, a balanced view that takes into account the whole of the book. The reviews seem to be of an all or nothing variety.

3) I have found the honesty with which Mack deals with his "great sadness" in approaching "papa" is more along the lines of real life. He says things that we are afraid to say, but if we are brutally honest with ourselves, we have all thought them.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment