Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Looking Forward

The New Year is upon us--quite frankly, I am still wondering where the last one went.

The New Year brings much time to reflect and evaluate while looking forward to where God may be leading us.

A couple of often quoted verses at this time of year is Philippians 3:13 and 14 - "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but on thing I do forgetting those those things which are behind and reaching forward to those thing things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Because the bible is full of exhortations to "remember" and "do not forget", I'm not sure these verses mean what we have always seem to take them to mean.

I believe Paul is at the very least referring to forgetting those things in the past that held him back from pursuing Jesus Christ with vigor--maybe those things from our past that seem to haunt us and slow us down and impede our progress of pursuing Jesus, false religion, false righteousness--those things which have not aided his pursuit of the upward call of Jesus Christ--knowing Him and making Him know to all nations.

Therefore, what do you need to forget, to neglect, to disregard in order for 2009 to be a year of making much of Jesus and pursuing Him with every ounce of your being?

No comments:

Post a Comment