Friday, January 30, 2009

I am needy

I heard John Piper use this phrase not too long ago.

Yet, as I was reading Psalm 119:33-40, it became very clear how needy I truly am.

Some of the phrases the Psalmist uses in this section are in the form of requesting from God something that the psalmist realizes he cannot do unless God works in him "both to will and do for His good pleasure." This, I believe, reveals the psalmist's realization of his neediness for God.

That we all truly need to be completely yielded and dependent upon God is more apparent everyday for me--not my own intellect, my own wisdom, my own traditions, my own common sense, my own skills, not my own mind--but God the Holy Spirit.

Listen to the phrases...

"Teach me..."

"Give me..."

"Make me..."

"Incline my heart..."

"Turn away my eyes..."

"Establish your word..."

"Revive me..."

I read those and realized afresh and anew how needy I am for God the Holy Spirit to do a grand work in me, that I am weak, helpless, timid, lost without him.

Jesus said in John 15: "apart from me you can do nothing". I'm not a Greek scholar by any means, but I'm pretty sure that nothing means nothing.

Have we realized our neediness for God in all of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment