Friday, April 24, 2009

Discipline of Grace - Chapter 2

After reading this chapter, I realized that I am a Pharisee, plain and simple.

Luke 18:9-14 - We are so quick to point out, "I'm glad I'm not like the Pharisee", which in reality, makes us just like the Pharisee.

Performance based living--it's a no win situation.

"Grace, grace, God's grace--grace that will pardon and cleanse within" That same grace is what we need everyday--not just to be saved, but for daily living.

Another quote from Jerry Bridges (paraphrase, don't have the book in front of me) -- "Your bad days are not so bad that you are out of the reach of God's grace, nor are your good days so good that you are not in need of God's grace."

Why is it so hard to live by grace? It digs to the very core of our self-sufficiency and our self-righteous tendencies because we want some credit for our goodness, our good deeds, and even our obedience. We want to say, "Hey, God, you owe me."

God, grant me grace for this day--for whatever, by your sovereign providence, you allow into my life that I may encounter it resting in your grace alone by faith alone in Christ alone.

Man, I have much to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment