Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Sabbath

In preparation for today's sermon on "How does a Christian Keep the Sabbath", it became very evident that there are a wide-variety of understandings about the 4th commandment.

However, one thing is clear--regardless of how strict one is on their understanding--the busyness of life, or at least of what we call life, is breathtaking--literally.

I believe that the real problem is not necessarily busyness itself--though we seem to take much pride in "outbusy" other families--but being busy about the wrong things--things that have temporary value pulling our hearts away from exulting ("making much of") over Jesus in and through all areas of life every day.

For many of us, to exult over Jesus in the mundane and ordinary things of life is never even considered--if it is, it is more of an afterthought such as, "Oh, I hope Jesus is pleased."

Enter the Sabbath...

Though I want to stay away from a legalistic, Pharisee-like mentality, I wonder if we have been too careless in our application, or lack of application, of the Sabbath--"Well, I have freedom in Christ. As long as I give Jesus that hour (two hours, maybe) on Sunday, I'm good the rest of the week. Everyday is the same," many might say (Romans 14) (not with words, but certainly with actions and participation in activities).

And, though I agree everyday is "the Lord's Day" (Romans 12:1-2), I am becoming more convinced of our need to build Sabbath back into our lives--certainly to reduce the busyness, but more importantly to refocus on Jesus and the ultimate things in life.

This refocusing and regrouping (more than just a couple of hours a week on a Sunday) could help us in exulting over Jesus other days of the week. Maybe this is what we mean by having a "daily walk" with Jesus?

I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment