Thursday, June 4, 2009

What God is Teaching Me

God has blessed me in the last couple of months to have a friend come alongside me through what is called a "coaching" relationship.

It has been of the utmost benefit to me, personally and ministerially. God has truly used my friend to uncover some "rocks" that I did not want to uncover about myself or my ministry as a pastor, particularly in the area of my teaching ministry and leadership.

It has pointed me toward much needed confession and repentance in my life. God has used it more times than not to humble me--and He continues to do so.

I am very appreciative to my friend for his willingness to be used of the Lord to help and encourage a bumbling beggar like me along the journey to serve Jesus humbly and all-out.

The Holy Spirit has been at work to show me many places where I need to grow, places where my heart is not where it ought to be.

It has affected my relationships with people--some in the church where I have the privilege to serve.

For that, I am deeply sorry, and I pray that God will bring about restoration and reconciliation where necessary and a renewed sense of camaraderie for the mission of our church, specifically for those to whom this particular part applies.

The Holy Spirit has also shown me the deep-rooted performance mentality that I have concerning ministry and my own relationship with the Lord--instead of one grounded in grace--sure, I've preached it and taught it, but have struggled to live it.

I guess I always knew this existed in my life, but it took a friend's penetrating questions guided by the Holy Spirit to draw it out into the open where it could be dealt with.

God is dealing with it through the books I am presently reading as they draw my attention to wonderful grace of the cross and the dependence upon the Holy Spirit being saturated with scripture.

I will be quick to say I have NOT arrived--thank God for the little kid's song "He's still workin' on me to make me what I ought to be."

This is a constant struggle for me--daily.

There is still much for me to learn and much room for me to grow.

By God's grace, He will accomplish it (Philippians 1:6).

No comments:

Post a Comment